So tonight was our Crystal Effects night, and I think everyone learned something new – myself included! I ended up staying up late last night as I kept finding new ways to use crystal effects that I wanted to try. If you haven’t heard of crystal effects, it is this great thick clear liquid laquer for using on craft projects. The most straightforward use is to add a bit of gloss or shine to your projects by applying some Crystal Effects on top of a stamped image. However, there are a ton of fun and creative other uses.
I made a few samples of some different techniques last night. So we talked about those different ideas and then set to work making a few items to take home. Tonight we made Faux brads, Laquered die cuts, and a card using colored Crystal Effects on a transparency. However, here are some of the different ideas for how you could use crystal effects:
- Add a touch of gloss to a stamped image
- Use crystal effects as a base for glitter. Drop some crystal effects onto a stamped image and then cover in glitter. Tap off excess glitter and allow to dry.
- Create Faux Brads by punching out a circle of paper and placing it over a glue dot. Add some crystal effects to the top and you are ready to go!
- Create dew drops by dropping some crystal effects onto wax paper or the backing for the stickers from your stamp sets. Add a bit of reinker color to make different colored drops.
- Color with crystal effects by mixing some crystal effects and reinker, and then using a brush or toothpick, color in a stamped image for a colored, glossy effect.
- Make a 3D embellishment by drawing a shape with crystal effects on wax paper (or the sticker backing) and then pouring glitter on top. Allow to dry and then pop-off.
- Create laquered die cuts. Cut out a shape in chipboard (in my case, I cut out the left over piece from a chipboard die cut after I popped out the die cut). Glue the chipboard to a piece of designer paper. Fill in the die cut space with crystal effects and allow to dry.
- Make glittering transparencies. Mix some crystal effects with some reinker and dazzling diamonds. Use a paintbrush to apply the colored crystal effects to the backside of a stamped transparency. Allow to dry and attach to your card or project.