I know me, and once I let life overwhelm me and I set my crafting aside because I’m busy trying to deal with the house, family, etc; I find myself getting into a crafting slump. You know, that time when you look at your craft supplies, get so excited to create something cute (or find yourself needing that last minute birthday card) and you sit down at your table….. and just stare at your supplies.
That was me. I saw so many great ideas at convention, had some cool topics for blog posts, but was having the hardest time finding the mojo to get started.
But – that is why I said YES! when I was invited to join the Stylin’ Stampin’ Squad and their monthly blog hops. Because I know me and to get me out of my slump, I needed a theme to focus on and a deadline that I had to get it done by. And it worked for me! I sat down with a few ideas, started pulling out some paper and by the time I was done with my first card I had ideas for a few more and couldn’t wait to have time to play more!
August Blog Hop – Holiday Catalog Projects
Card 1 – A Stenciled Halloween
When I first checked out the Holiday Catalog, I wasn’t too excited by the Build-a-Banner kits. But then I saw all the fun projects created with them at convention and I had a major change of heart. I love the banners and can’t wait to make my first one, but I was even MORE excited by the stencils! I know, I know, there isn’t anything new about stencils, but –hey- they are new to me!
And for my first attempt with them, I figured why not try to do some heat embossing while I’m at it? I don’t own any current halloween stamps but I loved the fact that I could still do spooky without even needing a stamp at all!
So to make the “boo” on my cardfront, I tapped and smeared VersaMark ink over the stenciled opening (starting with the “b”) and quickly picked up the stencil, sprinkled white embossing powder, and heated with my heat gun. Then repeat for each letter as you go through the word.
The rest of the card came together quickly as well because I used the new Witches Brew designer paper which had those cool orange spiders in the perfect spacing for me. Sponge the edge with some White craft ink and layer over a Basic Gray cardbase and you are done!
Card 2 – Bow Tie Celebration!
But one card just wasn’t enough for me. I told you, when I was done I had more ideas I wanted to play with. Well, this next card was using the new Gift Bow Bigz Die. I had seen a card by Ronda Wade that had a more flat looking bow and I wanted to try to create one myself. Ta-da!
The neat thing about this bow is that all the pieces for it is cut out of 1-sheet of designer paper from the new Season of Style designer series stack (you know, those paper stacks that are 4.5” x 6.5”?)
See, check it out
Then all you have to do is cut that top die cut shape in half to make your two flat bow “loops”. I found that if you lined up a flat edge at 2” you will cut straight down the middle too.
I glued my bow together with sticky strip and Stampin’ Dimensionals and adhered it over some of the new Burlap Ribbon. Finally, I stamped my sentiment from Seasonal Sayings but thought it needed some extra pop so I coated it with Crystal Effects. Makes it feel more like a celebration to me.
And with that, I even created one more card for tomorrow’s blog post and I’m back in the groove!
So if you are in a mojo slump, here is my challenge to you!
- Visit the incredibly talented stampers participating in this month’s blog hop (see the full list below)
- Find 30 minutes this week and head to your craft room
- Pick an item you were excited to purchase, but haven’t even used it yet!
- Create something, anything, even if you have no idea what to make, start cutting and stamping using the item you picked. Copy a project you’ve seen on the hop or visit one of the many great challenge blogs and inspiration blogs out there to help get you started if you need it.
- Finish and share your project by 8/16!
Show it to a friend, post it on Facebook, or come back and leave a comment that you’ve completed the challenge and share it with me! Feel free to link to your project too so we can see what creative project you’ve created.
Ready to be inspired?
Blog Hop Participants:
- Shellie G. of Craft Smashup
- Pam S. of Stampin’ in the Sun!
- Rose C. of Stamp with Rose
- Tonya B. of Stampin’ with Tonya
- Dawn S. of Dawn’s Creative Chalet
- Darcy J. of DJ’s Stampin’ Place
- Pamela W. of Stinky Tofu
- Kim R. of Stamping with Kim
- Heidi B of Stuck on Stampin’
- Jennifer B. of NW Stamper <— YOU ARE HERE
- Bree R. of Craft-somnia
- Diana E. of Stampin’ Fun with Diana
- Annie L. of Love Me Cards
- Jennifer C. of Happy 2 Scrap 4 Life
Enjoy and have fun creating!