When I start working on a project, sometimes I have a plan in mind, but often I turn to pinterest or google image search to give me a starting point for my project. Most of the time, I end up mixing and matching my favorite ideas from multiple cards into one card. But sometimes I come across a card that I love so much that I just have to make it exactly as I see it. Today is one of those cards! Check out how fun and cheery it is:
I saw this card by Shannon Kay on Pinterest and loved the colors and layout, I just needed to change up the sentiment since I thought this would be the perfect birthday card!
Tips and Tricks for this card:
- Pick the perfect color palatte! When trying to figure out what colors to use on cards, I usually start by looking at color combos from designer paper or start from a color family. In this case, you can start with the Subtles color family and grab Calypso Coral, Pear Pizzazz, and So Saffron. But then the perfect third color comes from the 2016-2018 In Colors – Peekaboo Peach! Aren’t they great together?
- Swirly Flowers from the Swirly Scribbles Thinlits – these swirls are great for decorative accents, birds nests, and in this case… flowers! When you look at your dies as they come in the packaging, you will see the little swirl die is sitting inside the larger swirl. So, that big Saffron flower is actually two dies, the larger swirl and the smaller swirl stacked together.
- Tie in a pop of color in your backgrounds with monochromatic designer paper – This is one of those times where the color family Designer Paper Stacks are great. They are sets of monochromatic paper that is perfect for adding an interesting background paper without being so busy as to take away from your main image.
- Pick the perfect sentiment! I love sentiment sets that give you a variety of fonts and phrases since it gives you lots of options on your cards. In this case, I’m using the Better Together stamp set and it is one that I totally overlooked in the catalog for the longest time, but turns out it really adds some fun to your cards. I mean, who wouldn’t smile getting this card and the happy “Happy Birthday!”?
Who do you know who could use a smile like this on their birthday?
And if you want to make fun cards like this with me (we did this one in stamp club a little while back), consider joining me for one of my monthly card making classes here in Redmond, WA! We have lots of fun and there are multiple options a month to come get your crafty on. Check us out over on my meetup here – the Bellevue-Redmond Card Makers
October Online Stamp Club Hostess Code – YG62GG6C
Get free exclusive tutorials each month and even get the supplies in a Make & Take kit with your order over $40 when you use the monthly hostess code!
- Whisper White cardstock – 5 1/2” x 8 1/2”, 3 3/4” x 5”
- Peekaboo Peach designer paper – 1 1/2” x 5 1/2”
- Scraps of So Saffron, Calypso Coral, Peekaboo Peach, Pear Pizazz cardstock